In our day-to-day lives, we need only to look in the fridge or order off of a menu for out next meal, but when we get to spend some time in the outdoors, our meals require a bit more planning and forethought. Yet, when you’re on vacation, you also don’t want to be spending a lot of time preparing and cooking meals that could be spent having adventures. Here are some ideas on easy meals to make while camping at Bethy Creek:
- Eggs and bacon are good proteins to start the day with and can be easily cooked on campsite stoves.
- Bagels with cream cheese could also be easily prepared. Butter a skillet and allow the bagels to warm up on a campfire stove.
- Apples and bananas are great energy boosters for the morning and are easy to grab and go.
For Lunch and Dinner:
- Hotdogs and Hamburgers are easy and loved by everyone… just don’t forget the buns!
- Pasta dishes: neither the pasta nor jar pasta sauce has to be refrigerated until after their use and the carbs in pasta are a good energy source
- Broiled Fish: Eat the day’s catch! Make a tin-foil pouch, add lime juice, olive oil, butter, and/or seasonings and grill six to eight minutes. Once done, you can eat it directly out of the pouch. This will also work for scallops and vegetables
- Deli sandwiches or peanut butter and jelly provide a lot of energy, are easy to make, and easy to carry.
- Veggie and Chicken Stir Fry: can be eaten alone or wrapped in tortillas to make burritos. Pick at least a few vegetables that don’t require refrigeration, such as red peppers, onions, and potatoes. (Just remember that if you cut up an onion, to use all of it, as onions attract bacteria once exposed)
- Protein or granola bars are convenient to carry and pack in a lot of calories
- Dehydrated fruits are also easy to carry; raisins, craisins, and mango slices are nutritional and delicious
- Trail mix or other nut mixes
- Beef jerky or other dehydrated meats
- Potato chips or pre-popped popcorn
- Canned tuna and crackers
- Chips and salsa or guacamole
- Hummus with pita bread or vegetables
- Grapes and cheese
While enjoying activities out at Bethy Creek, remember to stay hydrated! You’ll be losing water more quickly but also keep in mind the balance of your electrolytes by drinking Gatorade or Vitamin water. Eat a big breakfast before you start your day and keep your energy up by snacking throughout the day.